Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Interviewing- Chance Johnson

One of the more challenging aspects of journalism, in my opinion, is interviewing.  The process in general is somewhat frustrating to me, for a variety of reasons.

First, I feel like a pest actually approaching people for an interview.  Especially if it I am just approaching cold off the street or on campus.  I almost feel like I am being just as annoying as the Green Peace people or other activists that get in your face on campus wanting you to sign some petition or some pledge.  I always preface my approach to people with "hi, I'm a journalism student and I was wondering if you might help me out with a project by answering a few questions..."

As a reporter, I feel obnoxious at events like political rallies, trying to push my way through a crowd for a sound bite or a quick question.  Within a month of each other, I attended the Ron Paul event on campus, then Mitt Romney in Loveland.  At both, I was only a few feet from the candidates; a great opportunity to ask a question.  Both times I was hesitant because I didn't want to deny fans the opportunity to meet the candidates. Both times I missed my chance.  I feel like the only way to overcome this is to accept I am just going to have to be the "jerk with the media."  Which is hard because I consider myself a nice, considerate guy.     

I normally don't have a problem coming up with good question to ask an interview subject once I get them to sit down with me, but I often have a problem writing quick enough.  I haven't developed "short hand" and just jot stuff down as quick as I can.  I really feel that interviewing techniques such as these would be valuable to teach.  If there is a class on this, I have yet to take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment