Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Codes


I have never really noticed if I have a unique style of writing until this class. There are plenty of writing elements I use and implement into my writing, but it has always been subconsciously. After talking about personal ‘codes’ in writing, I notice how I write now.
I have always primarily preferred using passive voice in my writing. I have been told that active voice is desired for newswriting, but I never realized how bad I am at using it until JTC320. Another code of mine is comma use. I used to use commas after everything but a lot of teachers since high school would count me down for overuse. After that I have become hesitant to use commas which has also backfired because I miss places where a comma is necessary. In lieu of commas, I have learned to rely on the dash. After Donna explained her love for the dash, I have also grown to love it as well.
As I continue to write, I believe that more codes will develop and some codes will fade. I have already become aware of my passive voice addiction and try to convert it to active whenever I catch it. 

-Michael McNulty

1 comment: