Thursday, May 3, 2012

On you guys.

I'll take this last reflection to get a little cheesy. It's the last class, and as I am listening to all your leads with at least one of my ears, I am also reminiscing about my time with Donna in JTC 320. I feel sad it's coming to a close.

The first few weeks of this class I was not too into it. I didn't necessarily love going to late-night meetings, covering only one beat or listening to this weirdo lady go on and on about something I had made my mind up about minutes ago.

What I've come to find though, is all these seemingly mundane measures are the reason I have actually improved as a journalist over the past semester. Donna's extreme attention to detail and refusal to glance or skim over anything has forced me to analyze my writing at a depth I haven't been forced to by other classes and professors.

I've also loved the diversity of reporters we had in this class. The topics, styles and little elves everyone has brought to the class has opened my mind and expanded my writing abilities.

I leave other writing classes thinking "I could have done this all on my own." But this class truly lent me insight into the field of journalism and my own writing I wouldn't have received otherwise.

And turns out Donna is the most lovable and endearing weirdo of them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment