Tuesday, May 1, 2012

If we are the media, why do we get a bad rap from the media?


          By:Brittany Lancaster
                   “May I ask you a few questions?”; “Are you available for an interview?” and other questions such as these when posed by a journalist are typically followed by one of two possible responses: ‘hell ya spotlight, I love talking about myself’ or ‘oh dear god why are they trying to expose me and ruin my life.’
                What people really need to understand is, to put it rather bluntly, we as journalists don’t really care that much about making you famous or ruining your life (typically) we are really just using you as a source for this one story, and will probably forget about you by the time it’s in print.  As sad as it is to say, but in the college level demographic, I think that the majority of these ideas are not rooted from extensive newspaper reading but from an extensive digestion of movies and television shows.  From the various forms of media I have viewed myself, journalists are portrayed as heartless beings that can’t form relationships and when they do are merely doing so to get information out of them etc. I propose that as the “media” we need to work on putting our media stereotype as emotionally unavailable monsters to rest. (because it’s only slightly true.)

No comments:

Post a Comment