Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The Question I Get all the Time...-Chance

"What are you going to do with a degree in journalism?  Isn't that a dying industry?"  I can't tell you how many times I have had to explain why I chose journalism as a career path to the skeptic.  Being optimistic, I feel fortunate to be in school studying journalism while it is in the process of essentially being overhauled.  If we had graduated five years ago, we would have to be playing all kinds of catch up now.

When deciding what career field I would like to go into, there was nothing that I could possibly consider outside of writing.  With that, I have such a passion for social issues, politics, and current events and knew I would just be settling for declaring a major in anything else.

Before declaring my major, I expressed my concerns to my adviser that I didn't want to be wasting my time pursuing what so many have labeled as a dying industry.  My mind was put at ease that it is only evolving.  With the internet, we now have so many more formant at our disposal to get the news out to the public. 

The biggest thing that stands in our way, via the internet, are bloggers.  The internet has given unqualified, egotistical people, the impression that they are somehow qualified to do so many things that one previously had to earn.  With sites like Facebook and Myspace, bands suddenly have the attitude that they are professional because they have a website and can sell merchandise.  The same principle applies with bloggers.  We have the responsibility of proving that credible journalism will come from those of us who have worked hard to earn the title, not just because we can access the internet and post mindless drivel.  That's what Facebook is for. 


No comments:

Post a Comment