Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Print-Style Writing


I found this class to be a little more difficult than I expected. As a journalism major, I have taken the standard newswriting classes to learn proper AP style and the newspaper formula. I am a television broadcast concentration and I have moved onto the broadcast writing style for current classes and my work with CTV. I figured JTC320 would be an easy class that focuses on how to find sources and report on events (which it is and has helped me tremendously that way), but I didn’t realize how much trouble I would have reverting back to the traditional print writing style.
I have become so accustomed to the conversation style, which I used for all of my other classes this semester including CTV that every time I sat down to write a story for this class, I struggled and felt like I was no good at it.

I am glad I took this class, though. I found it very helpful and I had a lot of fun. It is important to be able to write in all different styles to be a well-rounded journalist, so I am glad that I was forced to focus back on print style—I just assumed it would be a walk-in-the-park… and you know what happens when you assume…

-Michael McNulty

No comments:

Post a Comment