Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Standing Back and Letting the Story Tell Itself- Chance

One problem that I have had with journalistic writing is letting my sources tell the story without me interjecting my own two cents.  My first few years of college while knocking out core curriculum, I always enjoyed English class because I could throw in so much of myself.  With journalism, I feel it is difficult to largely take myself out of the writing.  Even more challenging is that fact that I really show my writing skill when I am writing to defend an argument or position, not merely organizing a bunch of quotes. 

A good example of this was last semester when I was writing a story on a guy I worked with who, several years ago, was forced to cut off his own leg while hiking and stuck under a boulder.  I took down eleven pages of notes.  My story really consisted of transcribing what he had said and laying it all out.  I only directed the story and set the tone.  I got an "A" on the story, but it felt really weird having almost no presence in my own writing.  I wrote this way because I feel that this was what the professor wanted, and it was mostly to appease him and get the good grade. 

No comments:

Post a Comment