Monday, April 30, 2012

Photography while dangling 40 feet high may be frowned upons

By Chris Lindsey
While looking in to the Rec Center for my story I decided to visit the rock wall.  I had my camera with me so I thought it might be a good idea to take a couple picture at the top of the wall.  I had asked the Rec Center befor if they allowed photography and they said it was allowed.  So I threw my camera in my back pocket and started my ascent to the top of the wall.  When I reached the top of the 40 foot wall I pulled my camera out.  As I turned the camera on and looked down, I realized I would have to overcome my fear of falling in order to take the pictures--and to find a way to hold my camera.  As I hung on to the rock I used my free hand to start clicking pictures.  I climbed down to the bottom of the rock wall only to be immediately confronted by the staff.  She proceeded to tell me how although photography is allowed in the Rec Center, photography at the top of the wall is "too dangerous."  She told me to turn in my harness and shoes.  Luckily she did not take any of my information so I'm guessing I will be allowed back in the Rec Center.  What I took away from this experience is to always clear with the staff what you are about to do to make sure it is allowed (or do it and play dumb to get the material, depending on what it is.)

No comments:

Post a Comment