Thursday, April 26, 2012

On trusting a journalist


Trust is something that comes difficult for people when thinking about journalism. There is this skepticism and paranoia that surfaces the minute you ask someone if you can ask them a few questions for a story. As I was approaching sources for my in-depth drug piece, I found I had to be agile and careful of how I presented my story. If my interviewee began to look uncomfortable or nervous after I popped the question, I quickly added “I can keep you anonymous, leave out your last name, make one up…ANYTHING. TALK TO ME ABOUT YOUR DRUGS.” It’s not like this was being published in the Washington Post or something. Eventually when people started letting down their guards and talking to me, I realized how much power I had as a journalist. Suppose the story turns out really well and I want to publish it somewhere, but I promised to keep my sources anonymous? I would have to keep my word, even if it meant forfeiting a story in print. We got the power, people. Let’s not abuse it.

No comments:

Post a Comment