Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Tits, Glitter and Heels: A Story of a Gay Man with a part-time philanthropy as a College Drag Queen

 By Logan Martinez

He sits in a dimly lit room filled with couches and packed with people. He loudly and proudly proclaims his sexual orientation and drag persona as if talking about last season’s fashion faux pas, without a single head turning in bewilderment.

Erik Niemi, 20, a junior political science major, is in the lounge of the Gay Lesbian Bisexual and Transgender Student Services office (GLBT) in the Lory Student Center surrounded by people whom he considers his CSU family.

Among the relaxed small talk, Neimi’s voice is filled with giddiness. He starts his phrases with “Darling,” and “Oh honey,” as he describes a life full of acceptance and love as a gay man.

He explained how coming out to his mother was terrifying at first, but now he chuckles, “It was comedic, actually. I sat my mom down and said ‘mom, I have to tell you something.’ She was like ‘oh my god, what?!’ then I said, ‘mom – I’m gay.’ and she was like ‘oh, thank god.’”

Raising her child in the suburbs of Denver, in Northglenn, Colo., his mother found his confession of being gay as more of a relief than a condemnation. His mother’s acceptance came easily, because two of her brothers are gay as well.

Growing up around two gay uncles created a “gay culture,” helping Neimi learn much about how to be proud of his homosexuality.

“I count myself as very lucky for the situation I was born into with uncles knowing the playing field, to give me some pointers on how to live my life and not be apologetic for who I am, stuff like that.”

On top of his mother and uncle’s support, Neimi described how the rest of his family was also accepting of his homosexuality.

“When I was two I was prancing around in my mom’s heels because I thought they were fun to wear,” Neimi smiled. “I mean (being gay) has always been a part of my life.”

Having that support at home led Niemi to look for that same atmosphere when he came to CSU. Finding it in that same lounge he sits today. “I just walk in and it is almost the same feeling I get with my family, everybody is accepting, everybody is loving.”

From being involved with GLBT, Neimi quickly volunteered to become the sassy Veronica Devine twice a year for the CSU Student Organization of GLBT (SOGLBT) drag show and has for the past two years. The show occurs once a semester and raises funds for the SOGLBT campus chapter and the Northern Colorado AIDS Project during the spring show.

Lost in a cloud of dense hairspray, his wigs tend to be “ginormous” and easily sit “a foot off of my head.” He pairs his long, dark locks by plastering on intense theatrical makeup that exhibits his flashy bright eyes and gives him a plush and voluptuous red lip. After applying his makeup and fluffing his hair he finishes his vivacious look with a size double-D cup filled with family breasts.

“I wear tits, as I call them. They are actually family tits; I got them from my uncle. They are just panty hose filled with minute rice, then you form around and then you tie a knot and cut off the rest, so it makes a little nipple,” Niemi explained.

After his bra and corset are on and his – ahem, “candy”– is tucked away, he straps on platform stiletto heels, being sure to remark, “pain is beauty, darling.” Though the heels have caused him a bit more pain in his sashay across stage, often causing him to tumble off stage. While this used to be one of his fears, now it has become an inside joke between him and fellow SOGLBT members.

“Actually I make a point now to fall every time I am on stage, because the first time I was on stage I fell off, flat on my butt and it just became a thing after that – must fall, at all times. If I don’t fall at least once or my wig doesn’t fall off, it’s not a drag show,” he said in a matter-of-fact way.

Niemi described how he pulls his dark and mysterious look for Veronica from a couple of drag queens he has seen on the gay T.V. network, Logo, on RuPaul’s Drag Race.

“There are a couple of queens that I really like to sample from,” Niemi explained. “One is named Shannel and the other is Nina Flowers. Nina Flowers does this really dramatic androgynous look, which is really awesome I think. Then there is Shannel who does more natural looking makeup, she makes herself look more fish, which is a word meaning looking like a woman in drag culture terminology.”

From these looks, Neimi puts together a look that is “classy and sexy,” but includes his vibrant colors in drag look as well.

Of course a queen does not just look to other queens for inspiration and Neimi is no exception, having a much more famous idol in mind when he morphs into Veronica.

“Audrey Hepburn is my star –!” Neimi exclaimed. “She is just the essential mod girl who is just cat eye eyeliner, long elegant cigarette holders, you know, catty, witty and classy. That is really how I like to embody Veronica, catty, witty, classy, stilettos.”

While drag is more of a hobby to Neimi, he considers queens as “modern geishas,” being sure to embody that poise and elegance. This comes easily to him because he sees himself as a natural performer, no matter the venue. “It is just a performance to me, just like I do in the marching band. I have been on the stage since I was eight, so I am used to being in front of audiences. It is the same feeling when I am on the stage or in the field or in a play, as when I am performing in the drag show. You just have to keep going no matter what, that is the thought I have always had.”

When he leaves CSU he may leave the flash and feathers behind to take his gay pride to congress. “I want to go to law school. I am eyeing constitutional law.”

No comments:

Post a Comment