Thursday, April 19, 2012

On feature story brainstorming


 by Colleen Canty

“Hey Bethany, can I tell my class about that one time you stalked that dude?”

“Depends. Will it end up in the Collegian? Colleen…”

This is how a lot of my conversations go with friends. Transitioning from reporting classes, news meetings and brainstorming sessions in the newsroom to friend dinners, cocktail parties and essentially any social event involving real human interaction isn’t always seamless.

Sometimes I just can’t leave my reporter’s curiosity at the door, which makes people paranoid and self-conscious.

But sometimes it pays off with a great idea.

Most of my feature stories I get from talking with people – after all, people talk about what interests them, so they’re likely to read about similar things.

For my Facebook stalking feature, I just happened upon all the personal stories I bring up. I keep my ears open, I casually dig for more information if I think it may go somewhere…and sometimes my friends even hang out with me on the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment