Monday, May 7, 2012

Things I need to work on for next year-Austin Briggs



Besides learning how to take better notes my other goal is to become more efficient in tracking down sources and nailing an interview. I think I spent way to much time and had a ton of stress this semester in trying to find the right people for each story.

It seemed like it was always this convoluted process of getting a hold of public relations people, clearing everything with them, then I would have my 3 sources or whatever, but as I found out more about the story it would seem that was always one or two more people to talk to that know more about what was going on. I spent way to much time trying to get ahold of people than what is necessary.

I need to focus on getting down to brass tacks and not expending so much energy on superfluous stuff. I also severely dislike doing interviews over the phone, but that's something else I have to learn to work on. Part of it goes back the whole note taking ordeal, which is that I am terrible at it and I am not a fast writer. I'm looking forward to working on these things next semester, but it's still a challenge!

Austin Briggs

No comments:

Post a Comment